Sunday, January 14, 2018

Ever Get the Feeling You've Been Cheated?


Sex Pistols :  No Fun



By that last gig in San Francisco, I'd lost interest really. I'd become incapable of caring about writing another song for this outfit. I felt like, 'That's it, there's the full stop. I've achieved as much as I can in this environment.' So that's how it ended up with me saying, 'Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?' We were a betrayal of what we started out as .
-John Lydon, Anger Is An Energy

On January 14, 1978 The Sex Pistols played their final gig together (until 1996) at the Winterland in San Francisco. Their American tour was, to quote the band, "no fun". Manager Malcolm McLaren skipped the major markets like New York City to have the band play in redneck havens like Atlanta, Memphis, San Antonio, Baton Rouge, Dallas and Tulsa.  ( I write redneck with love, by the way). In the meantime, Sid Vicious sank further and further into his heroin addiction, glorifying a dangerous drug that had nothing to do with punk rock. After the tour the band dispersed to different corners of the globe. When Lydon re-emerged later in the year, he was using his original name and fronting a new band called Public Image Limited.


No comments:

Post a Comment