Tuesday, July 3, 2012

40 Year Itch : A Woman Scorned




Sassy Laura Lee, whose first Hot Wax album Two Sides of Laura Lee came out in the Summer of 1972, doesn't just demand R-E-S-P-E-C-T she wants revenge against the do-wrong dog of a man who hasn't signed on to women's love rights. 

    Laura first sang gospel but with Jesus there wasn't much drama. Her forte is singing about conflict from a woman's point of view ( among her songs were "If I'm Good Enough To Love (I'm Good Enough To Marry)", "Wedlock is a Padlock", "Dirty Man",  the Top 40 "Women's Love Rights", and the Top 5 R and B hit "Rip Off", recorded while she was in a relationship with Al Green.)



Hope Laura Lee has some help ripping off that dog...or at least a big moving van.
 Looks as though it's going to take a lot of work:


Ah but one of these days, he's gonna walk through that door, 
and girls his good thing will be gone. 
I'm movin him out. 
Starting with the sofa, the chairs, and both TVs, 
I feel like he owe it all to me.
 I'm not gonna leave him a box to sit on,
 the bed and the freezer full of food will be gone.
 I'm taking the carpet off the floor,
 and wall paper off the walls. 
I'm taking the telephone so he can't make no calls.
 This fool is in for the shock of his life, 
I'm tired of being neglected, 
I'm gonna slap him in the face with the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment